Monday, January 10, 2011

Journal 01 & Course Reflection 01

Howdy, my name is Chris Poche, I'm a freshman at The Ohio State University. I've lived my entire life in Lagrange, Ky (about 30 mins outside of Louisville and an hour south of Cincy) but have made up for this with many travels around the US and the world. I'm an avid music listener, (having a taste in nearly everything but Country) and can rarely be seen without my earphones being far off. As of late I've been listening to a lot of The Shins, Modest Mouse, Vampire Weekend, The Beatles, Regina Spektor and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I am both an athlete and sports fan, playing mainly tennis, soccer, and basketball, and cheering for more or less every Chicago-land team (not the Cubs), as well as Chelsea Football Club. On the opposite spectrum though, I was highly active in my Theatre Department in high school and hope to continue to stay with acting despite not being a theatre major in undergrad. I'm a fairly easy person to get along with and like to believe I've got a pretty good sense of humor. I generally like to take my time in life, or as much as one can on a college campus, so if you see someone walking slow admiring everyone in a hurry on the oval, stop by and say hi. I like to read the things most dread (Classic novels and Shakespeare) and I'm obsessed with films (Kubrick, Tarantino and Wes Anderson are a handful of favorite directors)  and am always looking for new suggestions to watch. Lastly, I'm an adventurer, amateur of course, but I look forward to getting lost, or just seeing where a situation is bound to take me, it breaks the monotony of life and I usually aim to have 1 or 2 a week. If you have any other questions about me, just introduce yourself to me or tag along, I'm always looking to meet new people.
I'm currently Undecided, but I'm looking at going into the Industrial Design on account to my interests in engineering, design and marketing. Design 200 is really for me to test the waters, learn what it is to be a designer, to think like one, and to hopefully to be successful as one, one day. I am fascinated by the inner workings of most things, and ponder about them, from things as simple as watches to the LHC. I began to consider this field after my success as a Production Editor (graphic and layout designer) of my high school's state award winning paper, and am hoping that, that visual communication experience can carry over to industrial design. More so I would like to understand exactly what design is, as opposed to the preconceived stereotype which has been imposed on me. So now it's time to reboot, learn and see if I have what it takes to be a designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment