Wednesday, January 19, 2011

CR02

In the last few classes we looked back at the origins and history of design, and how it, like the field itself built upon itself and evolved from more basic forms. Despite most peoples views on history, I enjoyed learning about the dilemmas that a new industrial age brought in and how ordinary things such as the design of a toilet were of utmost importance. I especially liked seeing the evolution of the chair, and how they can at times defy the creed "form follows function" in order to solely give attention to the aesthetics of the chair instead of designing one of comfort and going in later to make it more presentable.
From the Wednesday class I found the descriptions of the different disciplines offered by OSU to be very helpful, even so to help me remove one (Visual Communication) as a potential specialty. As an industrial designer I have a broad range of potential career paths in product design ranging from shoes to toasters to MRI machines. I also am interested in interior design based on this presentation, as I like the idea of deciding the color of the walls but also how to maximize efficiency and safety for others in these spaces. I also found the practice of visual synthesis very interesting as I found that subtlety is an art in it's own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment