Wednesday, January 19, 2011

J02

I began this project looking high and low for what most would consider your typical pattern, repeating elements, similar colors and symmetrical images, looking in what I considered the obvious places. It was just walking around these areas that helped me to find the many unknown but often seen patterns that surround us on this campus.
Above is a picture of a friend's rug which displays a simple pattern of repeating colors, but also contains an order about it, deceptive by it's chaotic and wild appearance. I found it one night while sleeping on it, I mean it's kind of hard to miss such a rug which is why it made the top 10. 
 Walking back from the RPAC I couldn't help but notice these umbrella covered tables outside of the Thompson. The first three (left to right) displayed against the tones of the library, are exactly identical in spacing from one another as well as how they are turned. The odd one out (as can be seen by the angle of the umbrella) is turned differently, as well as shot with nature in the background.
Surrounded by flood drains one would see them as banal through their ubiquitousness, but this one found outside of the RPAC caught my eye on a rainy day. Its repetition, both vertically and horizontally, creates an interesting almost flowing water appearance, but it is the levels of repetition that really attracted me. The foreground flowing bars, middle ground connectors and the background black space.
This is the adornment of the outer wall of Lazenby Hall found across from the Thompson Library at Neil Ave. I wasn't even out searching for patterns, but the fact that I looked up is pretty amazing. I particularly like the contrasting likeness of flowing waves of the top part to that of the blocky bricks which stick out below. It also is an ever continuous pattern, a constant repeating wave. 
After going up to the 10th floor of the Thompson Library in search of a play the other day, I noticed this  repetitive and mesmerizing pattern on the walls of the library's elevator. I liked this due to its meticulousness in comparison to other patterns I'd seen. While others were bulky this contained hundreds of small interwoven metal loops, which together collectively reflect light to create an interesting image/pattern. 
While exploring downtown Columbus Friday night on our way to Contra dancing, my friends' and my eyes fell upon this church's rose window. I'm a sucker for ornate architecture as is, and there is plenty downtown, but this pattern follows all of the specifications (symmetry, repetition, etc) and even breaks from the rest, being circular instead of linear, not to mention that it also has many layers to its design and pattern. Also the flower petal shape is a nice contrast to the color and the physical rigidness of the stone.
Making my way between floors of the Thompson via stairs I found this simple repetition. These water main valves from first glance are identical, a nice thing for a pattern, but it is also how looking up from the bottom you can see them evolve from left to right. The top sign seems to fold up as it moves across and the valves' pressure gauges are increasing as well. Really the fact that something so subtle and not built for aesthetics can be so beautiful when seen from the right angle. 
Actually last night as I finished playing ping pong with a few friends in my dorm I spilled some water on my racquet. Shaking it to get the water it ended up creating something less intricate, but still spider web like, on the face. Not only do the water lines branching outward and intertwining with one another create somewhat of a pattern but the paddle's face also has the honeycomb shape of the pips in rubber. I rather liked this pattern as it could only be seen at a certain degree to a light source, making it even rarer as well as both repeatable (in process) but not in pattern design. 
The Thompson Library at night truly shows it's supreme symmetry and beautiful repetitions. From the pillars of the lower picture, to the windows' crosshatchings, the statues that overhang the space between the doors and even to the brick work, it is one full of patterns and excessive, almost gaudy outer design. This is the west entrance to the Library and as seen here can be extremely beautiful on a clear night. 
Finally, this is the gate which separates the streets to the courtyard of Siebert, Morrison, Canfield, etc halls. I actually found this pattern at the beginning of the school year even utilizing it's design for a little game that my friends and I invented called patio ball. If you look closely you can see a repetition of the bars positions which fit together like puzzle pieces. I've always liked it's cold looking appeal as well as it's good use of blank space in between the bars leaving it still effective as a gate while adding a little aesthetics to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment